Can I? Yes I can!
When we set up our our own companies, it is so common to have a huge dip in confidence as we are no longer working for a boss or a corporation, but we're working for ourselves. This means confidence in talking about or pitching our businesses may hit an all time low, even though we were amazing heads of department in our paid jobs. Does this sound familiar?
I wrote this post for International Women's Day, but it goes across the year pretty much!
My message to you is: Yes, you CAN.
You’ve set up your business or coaching practice, spent blood, sweat and tears to create a beautiful website, product offering, got the qualifications, the works but you lack something that you used to have in bucket loads when you worked for someone else...
You will certainly vouch that you're a hard worker, you're passionate about what you do and you have a fantastic service which is why you set up your business in the first place and got you away from the day job into your side hustle and now your full time job.
However you have lots of self-talk. It goes a little like this:
· Can I put up my prices?
· Can I pitch to xyz publication?
· Can I stand up and do my elevator pitch at the networking event?
· Can I promote my business this week?
· Can I smile and dial to some dream influencers?
· Can I get my brand out there and more visible?
· Can I write good marketing copy?
· Can I propose a joint venture with a leader in my industry?
· Can I organise an event and get bums on seats?
· Can I call up the leading high street retailers to pitch my product to?
· Can I sell to the trade / wholesale market?
· Can I take some time off so I can look after myself?
· Can I get a mentor to help me grow my business?
· Can I approach an influencer with my new idea? Will they air me or be interested?
· Can I get a TedX speaking gig?
· Can I get a local speaking gig?
· Can I set up a paid for masterminding group?
The list goes on...
So, I say YES YOU CAN!
Why? Well it is commonly reported that women lack confidence when it comes to running our businesses. We may have left a high flying job in the city, may or may not have had children, may have been made redundant and countless other reasons to setting up a business that came from a hobby or a passion. But the one thing in common is the pure lack of confidence that can hold us back from doing something that will make a huge difference to our businesses.
That ONE THING could open a big door WIDE OPEN and you don't know what countless opportunities could flood in after... So today I want to grant you PERMISSION (I wrote a post in this before, but it's a recurring theme ) to go ahead and do that one thing on the list above that you've been wanting to do but have been lacking the confidence to actually do it.
Put a plan in place to do it, make a commitment to yourself that next week, you WILL do that icky tricky task you've been putting off and that actually will be okay when you do it!
I promise you, I have been there, I am also there each and every day of my working life but it's my passion for my business that keeps me going, my kids and my desire to help empower other people to shine with their skills that keeps me going!
So what will you do from the list? Maybe your 'thing' isn't on it, so write it in the comments. I would love to hear back from you!