Tweak 2 letters and change everything
Planning 2017 for how and where you are now
“Mind your Language” is a great piece of advice; truly mind it. And think about it; the effect it has on you and then on those around you as you use it. As a self-confessed word-nerd, it’s one of my passions that my clients really “get” how important the words and phrases they choose and then use are. If you already have a sense you could be more influential, engaging and inspiring to other people, then changing and updating your ‘script’ transforms the way you connect with people.
A few years ago, I read an article by John La Valle who I believe is a true word-nerd. John is a real wizard with the use of language and the difference it makes. The article was about changing our New Year’s Resolutions and swapping them for New Year’s Evolutions.
So when someone asks me “Kay, are you making any New Year’s Resolutions?” I take John’s advice and tell them “yes, but I make New Year’s Evolutions”.
Think about the word ‘Resolution’– it means “a firm decision to do or not to do something. The action of solving a problem, dispute or contentious matter.”
When you pull it apart, re-solution becomes a solution, redone. You know when you say it there’s a bit of resistance there. Something you should be doing as opposed to something you want to do. Something you’ve tried to do before and are trying to do again. It’s so common to make a resolution to eat less, exercise more, spend less, save more, work less, be with family more – or sometimes the opposite!
Now, think about the word ‘Evolution’– When you think of planning and committing to New Year’s Evolutions, there’s a different feel and energy about them with that word. Evolution means the gradual development of something. Current senses stem from a notion of “opening out” and “unfolding” giving a rise to a general sense of development. Open yourself up to who you are now and what you want, now.
With the word ‘Evolution’ there’s a more forward motion to it, more of a sense of “Ok, for where I am now and for how I’ve developed now and what I want in my life now, this is what I want for my life in 2017”.
Write down 5 New Year’s Evolutions for yourself and before you do, take a moment with these 5 steps to think about how you are “opening out”, “unfolding” and “developing”.
- Think about how your life was 2 years ago– then think about what’s going on now and how things have evolved for you.
- What are the major changes that have happened?(there will be some, I promise you). It’s one of the few things we can guarantee in life, that things change. We choose how we respond to those changes.
- Next, consider what’s happening in each of these areas of your life– home / work / relationships /career / finances and ask yourself “what do I want to have more of AND less of in these areas now?”
- Here’s where your “New Year’s Evolutions” start to form.From where you are now, for the person you are now, for what you’re doing now.
- Put down the following wordsand then finish the sentence at least 5 times “For what I want now, in 2017 I will….”
So, with two letters tweaked your Resolutions have become your Evolutions. Oh, and even if you don’t think you’ve changed much, the landscape around you, industry, markets and colleagues will have. That changes you anyway. How have you evolved though, that’s the question?
Here’s a helpful, immediate Gift for you! A complimentary copy of "YOUR 2016 Year End Review & 2017 Planning Guide”.
Let me walk you through a personalised review of your 2016 so you can plan with more certainty and clarity what you want for 2017. This will help you for appraisals, year-end reviews, negotiating career moves and - of course - more money.