Recipe: dairy-free raw chocolate caramels
These raw chocolate caramels from nutritional therapist, Angelique Panagos are free from gluten, diary and refined sugar-free
For the chocolate:
1 cup cacao butter, chopped
2tbs raw cacao powder
2tbs rice malt syrup or coconut blossom nectar (to taste)
1 tbs lacuma powder
2tbs coconut milk
Pinch of sea salt (optional)
For the caramel filling:
1 cup pitted dates
2tbs almond butter
2tbs rice malt syrup or coconut blossom nectar
1tsp coconut oil
5tbs cocao butter
1. Soak the dates in hot water for 15 minutes.
2. Prepare a bain-marie using a medium sized bowl. (To prepare a bain-marie simply place a bowl into a shallow bowl or saucepan of hot water to surround the inner bowl with a gentle heat.)
3. Start preparing your filling by melting the five tbs of cacao butter in the bain-marie, stirring gently to aid the melting process.
4. Add the melted cacao butter and all of the other ingredients for the filling to a blender and blend until you have a smooth, caramel cream paste.
5. Place the filling in a bowl and pop this in the freezer while you prepare the chocolate.
6. Prepare a new bain-marie and melt the cup of diced cacao butter for the chocolate. Stir gently to aid the melting.
7. Add the melted cacao butter and all of the other ingredients for the chocolate to a blender and blend until you have a smooth but runny chocolate liquid.
8. In a silicone mould of your choice pour enough chocolate into each mould to create a base. This base should be a third of the thickness of the finished chocolate and of the mould it is being set in.
9. Set the remaining chocolate mixture aside.
10. Place the mould in the freezer for five to 10 minutes.
11. Spoon a small ball of caramel filling into each mould and press down lightly onto it with a cold spoon.
12. Pour the remaining chocolate over the top of each mould. Do this with a spoon or piping bag.
13. Leave this to set in the freezer for 30-45 minutes.
Recipe from Nutritional Therapist, Angelique Panagos.