End your procrastination NOW!
Practical tips to stop the putting-it-off behaviour
Ok so if you're human chances are you procrastinate. Now a bit of procrastination is not a bad thing. Sometimes our brains and hearts simply have not gotten onto the same page of our life book to make action possible. This is what I often explore with clients in our 1:1s. We get curious about how their heart and mind conflict steal momentum and action and make a comfy home for their procrastinator.
But, there are other times when you may be showing up to your work desk, your life, your relationship or yourself and you know you want to do something. In fact you're determined. And still there's this invisible force that's holding you back. Making you ramble along or distracting you with trivial work. It's this sort of procrastination that I want to address in this blog.
Below are ten practical and proven tips that have served my clients and me well. These practices have helped us get off our butts and make action happen. Enjoy them. Share them. Leave a comment on what works for you.
- Read and repeat this affirmation at least three times: This is MY life. I'm claiming my health, success, fame, talents and I am determined to share them with the world because I AM needed.
- Designate a specific "time slot" for the task you are procrastinating on. I often make such tasks my first appointment of the day and give it an hour.
- Do a mental rehearsal where you imagine what you will actually do. When it comes time to doing it, you will already have a recipe.
- Think of yourself as "too special" to hurt yourself with anxiety of postponing what matters. Instead choose self-love by getting into action.
Every step counts.
- Seize the NOW! If you're going to lose weight go for a run this minute. If you're going to make a positive dent in your relationship with a colleague, friend or partner pick up the phone and call them now to let them know they matter in your life. Whatever it is, just do it!
- Do my mirror exercise. Face your reflection and notice who is looking back at you. Now adjust your stance, expression, dress your face with a smile or raise your chin a tad. You are marvellous. You deserve the best! Act in line with the image.
- Ditch the perfectionist. Perfect pitch, perfect application, perfect date, meal, outfit. Stop taking yourself so seriously. Instead trust inspiration, intuition and your heart's true expression. Focus on creating movements and experiences. If you sit on that e-mail, drafting it in your head no action is taking place in the physical world. In other words - nothing exists! Thoughts are just that. So if you struggle with writing, speak it out to a phone recorder and transcribe it afterwards. If you can't pick up the phone, send an e-mail asking someone to call you back. Put yourself into a place of action.
- Resolve to feel energised. So many people these days complain about being tired. I should know it. Being a diabetic, my body often goes through tired phases where my muscles complain and I feel like just napping on the sofa. But inactivity invites more of it. So move! Walk to the corner cafe. Get groceries. Walk to someone's desk to ask a question. Become a seeker of energy within your body and as you begin to pay attention to it, you will believe it's there. Be tired at bedtime to help you drift off and get good sleep.
Start a journal. Get one of those small A6 notebooks and simply write down what you're feeling, what's going through your head and confront it!
Interrogate what's on the page by asking "Is this helping me or hindering me?"
Then step into your power and choose better thoughts, beliefs, and affirmations.
- Ban "I wish" from your language. Instead, get into responsibility by saying "I'm going to do x to ...."
Whatever you want you can have! But there's a catch. You must be prepared to work for it.
Positive thinking is good but it is not enough! To get results and achieve your goals and surpass them you must take action on a regular basis. This means grabbing that monster procrastinator by the ears and setting it aside from your life's path.
You deserve success! You deserve that great job! Lifestyle! Partner. And they are all waiting for you to go claim them with your action.
Until next time. M x