Tahini and avocado pecan crunch ice cream
Try this healthy ice cream recipe from Danielle Copperman, author of Model Mangetout
300g frozen banana, sliced (ideally slice before freezing)
100g frozen avocado, sliced (ideally slice before freezing)
150g coconut milk (use the solid creamy part and try to avoid too much of the watery liquid as this won't freeze as smoothly)
10g vanilla powder, seeds, bean paste or extract
1 tbsp maca powder (optional for added nutrients, vitamins and minerals)
1-2 tbsp tahini
100g chopped pecans, walnuts or other nuts and seeds of your choice (we also like raw buckwheat groats, cacao nibs and Almond & Vanilla Qnola)
1 tsp coffee solution (espresso or instant coffee dissolved in water)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cacao powder
1. Place the banana, avocado, coconut milk, vanilla and maca in a food processor and blend on a medium speed. As the mixture begins to break down and become smooth, increase the speed.
2. Blend until smooth, then scrape down the sides.
3. Add your choice of natural flavourings. Blend on a high speed for a further 1-2 minutes. The mixture should be smooth and thick and should resemble a very soft consistency, similar to melting ice cream.
4. Once the mixture is smooth, scrape into a sturdy tupperware.
5. Stir through chopped pecans (or nuts of your choice) and your preferred amount of 1-2 tablespoons of tahini, to taste.
6. Tap the base of the tupperware on a flat surface to ensure that it settles without air bubbles.
7. Place in the freezer and leave to set for 20-30 minutes. After this time, stir vigorously in circles and following a figure of eight pattern.
8. Return to the freezer for a further 20 minutes and repeat this stirring step 3-4 times. This will ensure that the ice cream stays smooth, light and as airy as possible, rather than setting solidly or with icicles. This stage may seem lengthy, but it means that you don't need an ice cream maker!
9. After the final stir, return this to the freezer and leave for around 1-2 hours or store in the freezer until ready to enjoy.
10. Remove from the freezer 10-20 minutes before you wish to serve to ensure that it softens efficiently.